Celebrating the Fourth of July {tutorial}

So I decided to make some use of the patriotic American stamps in my mini blueprints stamp set from Tim Holtz, and make some cute cupcake toppers and a sparkler holder!  There's sparklers & fireworks for sale everywhere here, and I picked up this package for a couple dollars thinking they were ordinary sparklers... only to find these colorful (very pink!) wrapped things inside! So, I switched up my festive berries distress ink for picked raspberry and went ahead with my plan!  Here's what I started with:
 (not pictured, but also used: matte medium, Distress Markers in the same colors & some glitter!)
First I cut a sheet of cardstock at 4" and set it aside for the jar.  One the remaining piece, I stamped each image I was using twice with Black Archival Ink.  I used an ink applicator with sponge (don't have any of the cute new mini round ones yet!) to apply Distress Ink over each image.  I highlighted each image with a Distress Marker as well to add a bit of extra depth.
Trim the stamped images (use a circle punch for Lady Liberty) and adhere toothpicks to the back of each image using Matte Medium.
Add some sparkle with Stickles Glitter!  I used dry glitter with Matte Medium, but a tube of stickles would work great too :)
To finish off this project, go back to that 4x11 piece of paper you set aside and stamp the images with Distress Ink, adding a few other stamps with Black Archival.  Ink the edges blue and adhere around the jar.  (FYI- I did measure the jar first and 11 inches was almost perfect to go all the way around!  I had a tiny 1/4" overlap!)
Here's another photo of my finished project.  I'm looking forward to lighting up these sparklers with the family (& giving the fireflies a little competition!) and celebrating my first Fourth of July as a resident of the USA :)

Comments

Julie Nixon said…
They look great Tara! Enjoy the holiday tomorrow !
Caroline D. said…
They are so fun and festive! Thanks for sharing the idea. Have a fun and safe 4th for your first "official" Fourth of July here!! :)
Happy 4th! Precious and delicious!
Lynn K said…
so festive! Great Holiday project!!